Британские войска на Ближнем Востоке (1916-1918) / British Troops in Middle East (1916-1918) - Antique Photos Forum - Страница 2

Перейти к содержимому

Британские войска на Ближнем Востоке (1916-1918) / British Troops in Middle East (1916-1918)

Сообщений в теме: 28

#21 НЕ В СЕТИ   Freiwillige

• Администратор

Отправлено 16 Июль 2016 - 22:55

Фото № 7. "Хелуанский институт. Мой аппарат".
Photo No.7 "The Institute Helouan. My Machine".

#22 НЕ В СЕТИ   Freiwillige

• Администратор

Отправлено 16 Июль 2016 - 22:56

Фрагмент фотографии № 7.

#23 НЕ В СЕТИ   Freiwillige

• Администратор

Отправлено 16 Июль 2016 - 22:57

Фото № 8. "Хелуанский институт. Сестра Рэйнольдс".
Photo No.8. "The Institute Helouan. Sister Reynolds".

#24 НЕ В СЕТИ   Freiwillige

• Администратор

Отправлено 16 Июль 2016 - 22:57

Фрагмент фотографии № 8.

#25 НЕ В СЕТИ   cmf

• Эксперт
  • по униформе Великобритании

Отправлено 23 Январь 2017 - 02:11

With the landings at Gallipoli in April 1915, the British, Indian and Dominion military hospitals already established in Egypt received an influx of casualties: in order to free hospital beds to cope with critical cases, a network of additional camps and depôts were established to receive and care for men during their convalescence. In May 1915, the large El-Hayat Hotel, a winter health resort and baths, at Helouan (12 miles south of Cairo) was taken over as a satellite convalescent depôt by No. 1 Australian General Hospital based in Heliopolis (a suburb of Cairo). This was soon designated the ‘Australian & New Zealand Convalescent Hospital’. In July 1915, the Grand Hotel in Helouan was also converted to become a convalescent depot, and the Red Cross were also granted loan of the Walda Palace in Helouan, from the Sultan of Egypt, also as a convalescent hospital. In summer 1917, the El-Hayat Hotel in Helouan was taken over as a military orthopaedic hospital, an annexe to No. 71 British General Hospital based in Cairo: here, the deformities and disablements caused by projectile wounds were treated. The orthopaedic hospital was closed soon after the armistice.

In the photographs, we see a Serjeant, Royal Army Medical Corps (R.A.M.C.), identifiable as such by the Geneva Cross ‘Trade Badge’ worn on both upper sleeves: this badge was worn by all Warrant Officers, N.C.O.s and Men of the R.A.M.C until 1923. This Serjeant is not wearing the brass ‘R.A.M.C.’ shoulder-titles which would normally also identify his corps.

For men of the Regular army, the badge itself was a red Geneva Cross on a white circular field, with yellow outer circle (gold for W.O.s and senior N.C.O.s), all on a circular black backing. In the Territorial Force, the yellow circle was white (silver for W.O.s and senior N.C.O.s). The badge was worn by N.C.O.s and Men on the upper sleeves of both arms when in Service Dress, and when worn by N.C.O.s of the R.A.M.C. formed part of their badges of rank. W.O.s wore the badge on both lower sleeves, in conjunction with their rank insignia. The badge also served the purpose of indicating that its wearer was unarmed, and protected by the Geneva Convention, although, in combat conditions, for extra visibility, a Red Cross armband was worn on the upper left arm, under the badge.

Unless especially qualified in more technical specialities, Other Ranks of the R.A.M.C. were usually appointed ‘Medical Orderlies’ if serving in a Field Ambulance, or, if serving at a hospital, ‘Nursing Orderlies’ or ‘General Duty Orderlies’ (the latter employed to chop wood, clean, etc.).

‘Sister Reynolds’ is a nursing Sister in Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve (Q.A.I.M.N.S.R.).

Following the experience the Second Boer War (1899-1902), the British War Office was concerned that in the event of another war the medical and nursing services wouldn’t be able to cope sufficiently; as a result, military nursing was reorganised, with ‘Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service’ (Q.A.I.M.S.) being formed in 1902, replacing the ‘Army Nursing Service’ (A.N.S.) as the regular British Army’s permanent corps of nurses stationed in military hospitals across the Empire. In 1908, a permanent reserve was raised for Q.A.I.M.N.S., and titled ‘Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve’ (Q.A.I.M.N.S.R.). In addition, with the creation of the Territorial Force in 1908 (primarily tasked with Home Defence), the ‘Territorial Force Nursing Service’ (T.F.N.S.) was established the same year, staffed by volunteers who continued to work in their usual civilian nursing jobs during peacetime, but who would be mobilised at short notice, in the event of war, to provide nursing staff for the twenty-three Territorial Force General Hospitals planned for the United Kingdom. To supplement the T.F.N.S., in 1911 the Civil Hospital Reserve (C.H.R.) was formed, which consisted of a register of those trained nurses at civil hospitals who were willing to undertake military nursing in the event of war, on the guarantee that their peacetime jobs were protected.

The uniforms of Q.A.I.M.N.S., Q.A.I.M.N.S.R., the T.F.N.S. and the C.H.R. were very similar, but can be distinguished by differences in shade, facings and insignia. Nurses in military service were accorded the status of Officers: entry standards to Q.A.I.M.N.S., Q.A.I.M.N.S. Reserve, the T.F.N.S were high, the women having to be over 25 years of age, (usually) unmarried, of impeccable social standing (often the daughters of military officers, clergy, professional men, merchants and farmers), and to have completed a three year course of nurse training in a hospital approved by the War Office. The nursing ranks used during the Great War were, in decreasing seniority: Matron-in-Chief, Principal Matron, Matron, Assistant-Matron, Sister, and Staff Nurse. Sister Reynolds wears the standard ward uniform common to Q.A.I.M.N.S.R., the T.F.N.S. and the C.H.R., of white muslin cap (‘veil’), grey ‘washing’ material dress (blue-grey for T.F.N.S.) with white linen collar and cuffs, and grey cape (‘tippet’) (blue-grey for T.F.N.S.) with scarlet facings (the regular Q.A.I.M.N.S. wore all-scarlet capes): her rank of Sister is indicated by two scarlet bands of braid, each one an inch (2.54 cm) wide, worn on the lower sleeve above each cuff.

Except for the C.H.R. (who wore none) each nursing service was distinguished by a distinctive service badge suspended from a ribbon, in form resembling a medal, worn on the right of the ‘tippet’:

Q.A.I.M.N.S., in reference to Queen Alexandra’s Danish origins, had a Dannebrog Cross (with a letter ‘A’ superimposed at the centre), surmounted by a ‘Tudor’ crown, and surrounded by an oval band inscribed ‘QUEEN ALEXANDRA’S IMPERIAL MILITARY NURSING SERVICE’. For Staff Nurses, the badge was in bronze, for all other ranks, silver. The ribbon was scarlet, and stripes white/blue/blue/white.

Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. had an ‘R’ surmounted by a ‘Tudor’ crown, and encircled by a band inscribed ‘QUEEN ALEXANDRA’S IMPERIAL MILITARY NURSING SERVICE RESERVE’. The badge was silver for all ranks. The ribbon was blue, and the stripes white/scarlet/scarlet/white.

The T.F.N.S. had the Royal Monogram of Queen Alexandra surrounded by an oval band inscribed ‘TERRITORIAL FORCE NURSING SERVICE’, surmounted by a ‘Tudor’ crown. The badge was silver for all ranks, and the ribbon was red with a central white stripe. In addition, members of the T.F.N.S. wore large white metal ‘T’s at the points of the ‘tippet’.

We can identify ‘Sister Reynolds’ as Ida May Reynolds (1888-1954):

20/05/1888: Ida May Reynolds born at Peddie, Cape Colony, southern Africa, daughter of Charles John Reynolds (farmer), and Agnes Julia Reynolds (née Daniell).

1909-1912: Undertakes nursing training at the Provincial Hospital, Port Elizabeth, Cape Colony/Cape Province, southern Africa/Union of South Africa.

1912-1913: Engaged in private nursing at Port Elizabeth, Cape Province, Union of South Africa.

1913-1914: Employed as Staff Nurse, The National Hospital for the Paralysed and Epileptic, London, United Kingdom.

16/12/1914: Applies to join Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve (Q.A.I.M.N.S.R.).

19/12/1914: Accepted for service with Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. in the rank of Staff Nurse.

07/01/1915: Posted to His Majesty’s Hospital Ship (H.M.H.S.) ‘Valdivia’ at Southampton. This ship undertook casualty evacuation duties in the Dardanelles, Aegean, and eastern Mediterranean.

15/04/1916: Transferred to duty ashore and posted to No. 15 General Hospital, Alexandria, Egypt.

29/10/1917: Posted to No. 71 General Hospital, Cairo, Egypt.

15/12/1917: Appointed Acting Sister.

02/10/1918: Posted to the Military Orthopaedic Hospital, Helouan, Egypt.

20/02/1919: Posted to Citadel Military Hospital, Cairo, Egypt.

23/06/1919: Admitted to Officer’s Hospital, Cairo, with hernia.

20/07/1919: Invalided to United Kingdom for surgery.

29/07/1919: Admitted Royal Victoria Military Hospital, Netley, Southampton, Hampshire, United Kingdom. Has surgery on 02/08/1919.

12/09/1919: Granted sick-leave till 13/11/1919.

18/11/1919: Attends Southern Command Medical Board at the Queen Alexandra Military Hospital, London, and recommended category ‘C1’, fit for Home Service only.

28/11/1919: Demobilised as surplus to establishment.

31/03/1920: Miss Ida May Reynolds, Sister, Q.A.I.M.N.S.R., is gazetted with the decoration of the Royal Red Cross, 2nd Class, in recognition of valuable services with the British Forces in Egypt (backdated to 03/06/1919). The award of Royal Red Cross, 2nd Class, entitles the recipient to the post-nominal letters ‘A.R.R.C.’ (Associate of the Royal Red Cross).

21/06/1923: Departs port of London for Cape Town, Union of South Africa.

c. 1923-25: Marries Arthur Soudon Bridgman (1885-1950). 3 children.

23/11/1954: Ida May Bridgman, A.R.R.C., dies. Buried in the cemetery of St Michaels & All Angels Church, Kirkwood District, Cape Province, Union of South Africa.

Illustrated below are (i) the ‘Geneva Cross’ trade badge worn by W.O.s, N.C.O.s and Men of the R.A.M.C. (Regular Army) until 1923; (ii) the Q.A.I.M.N.S. service badge (in silver for the ranks of Sister and above); (iii) the Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. service badge; (iv) the T.F.N.S. service badge; (v) the Royal Red Cross, 2nd Class (George V issue); (vi) the announcement in the London Gazette of 31/03/1920 of the award of the Royal Red Cross, 2nd Class, to Miss Ida May Reynolds, Sister, Q.A.I.M.N.S.R.; (vii) the gravestone of Ida May Bridgman (née Reynolds).

Сообщение отредактировал cmf: 23 Январь 2017 - 02:21

#26 НЕ В СЕТИ   Freiwillige

• Администратор

Отправлено 23 Январь 2017 - 20:47

Incredible, Chris!!! Many thanks for the great research you've done!!! :Laie_99:

#27 НЕ В СЕТИ   cmf

• Эксперт
  • по униформе Великобритании

Отправлено 23 Январь 2017 - 21:27

No problem, Andrew . . . putting a name to a face is always interesting!! :JC_doubleup:

#28 НЕ В СЕТИ   Freiwillige

• Администратор

Отправлено 29 Март 2017 - 00:17

Photo No.9. Someone with goggles. Unfortunately, no caption on the backside.

#29 НЕ В СЕТИ   Freiwillige

• Администратор

Отправлено 29 Март 2017 - 00:19

Photo No.10. Again, reverse of the photo is blank. However, close-up seems to be interesting enough.

Количество пользователей, читающих эту тему: 1

0 пользователей, 1 гостей, 0 анононимных

Яндекс.Метрика