Дивизионный генерал погранвойск / General de divizie (grăniceri)

Border Guards (grăniceri) in the rank of general (general de divizie), uniform seems to be M1921/23 or M1927 in khaki color, the distinctive green collar suggests a ceremony uniform, collar insignia indicates he was a staff officer, photo is taken somewhere between 1921 and 1930.

Dear Mircea! Very grateful for taking the time to help me! Thank You so much! General Nicolae Uică very similar to the man on my photo. In addition, the same military specialty - Corpului de Grăniceri! Even hairstyle on the photo in 1920, and on my photos look like! Except that the eyebrows, I think, different greatly.

Dear Mircea! I want to ask You.

Maybe You have a biography of Nicolae Uică?

In wikipedia about him is written very little. I only know that he was the commander of the 1st Regimentul Grăniceri (1918 -1920?), in 1931 -1933 he was the commander of Corpului de Grăniceri, and 14 .11. 1933 – 06.01.1934 – he was the Minister of National Defence of Romania in the governments of Duca and Tătărescu. His last rank was rank of Generalul de corp de armată? And he built the church of St. Nicholas in Vişeul de Sus, in memory of his daughter. And that is all that I know about him. Even the cause of his death is unknown to me. If You have something about Uică, please send me. Is possible even in Romanian.

Advance grateful.

I wish You and all Your family all the best!

I found the name (General) Nicolae Uică here:

http://www.monumentul.ro/pdfs/Mircea%20Tanase%2009.pdf

"The Church and Hero's Cemetery, Buzau", page 3. It says there that he was the commander of the 5th (Infantry?) Division, Buzau, sometime after 1st of April 1929. There is a picture with his name among other names as one of the founders of that church (in Buzau). In that cemetery rest 9 653 heros, 753 of them are German soldiers, 744 Austrians and Hungarians, 136 Bulgarians and Russians, 14 Turks and 5 Italians. Next to this Cemetery is a cemetery of the Soviet soldiers who died in ww2 (photo page 12).

Even the cause of his death is unknown to me

He died in 1940. Maybe he was ill, I don't know. He didn't die in the war. Not much info about him on the Internet.

Hi,

This is what I have on Uica

Born: February 2, 1877 in Târnava de Sus

Died: July 21, 1940 in Bucureşti

Promotions: Sublocotenent:

1 Jul 1899 Locotenent: May 10, 1904

Căpitan: May 10, 1908

Maior: 1 Apr 1914

Locotenent-colonel: 1 Nov 1915

Colonel: 1 Sep 1917

General de brigadă: 1 Jan 1924

General de divizie: 1 Apr 1933

Assignments:

1 Jun 1918 -20 Mar 1920: Comandant al Regimentului 1 Grăniceri din Corpul Grănicerilor

20 Mar 1920 - Oct 1 1923: Comandant Brigada 17 Infanterie, Diviziei 9 Infanterie

1 Oct 1923 - Feb 1924: şef de Stat Major al Corpului 5 Armată

Feb 1924 - 26 Feb 1926: Comandant Brigada 9 Infanterie

26 Feb 1926 - 1 Apr 1929: şef de Stat Major al Inspectoratului 2 Armată

1 Apr 1929 - 1 Jul 1931: Comandant al Diviziei a 5-a Infanterie

1 Jul 1931 - Feb 1933: Comandant al Corpului de Grăniceri

Feb 1933 - 14 Nov 1933: Comandant al Corpului 2 Armată

14 Nov 1933 - 31 May 1934: Ministru al Apărării Naţionale

1 Jun 1934 - 2 Oct 1936: Comandant al Corpului Armată February

2 Oct 1936 - 1 Nov 1937: Inspector general al Infanteriei la Ministerul Apărării Naţionale

1 Nov 1937 - 1 Mar 1938: trecut în rezervă

1 Mar 1938 drept de pensie

I have not been able to find any confirmation of a promotion to General de corp de armata.

Edited by VJK

Dear Mircea, as You think - Is it possible that the romanian general used the old-style uniforms? There are any examples in Your colection? Very strange situation - person is similar to Nicolae Uică, military specialty in the past is the same - Grăniceri ...

• 1 month later...
Is it possible that the romanian general used the old-style uniforms?

Yes, it is possible. A few years ago I read in a book written by a former adjutant of Ion Antonescu that General Argesanu, if I'm not mistaken, refused to wear the new uniforms and continued to wear the 1920 style tunics.

Dear Colleague

Thank You for the valuable information. Maybe it's all the same it was General Nicolae Uică? They are very similar in appearance. In addition, if Uică was promoted to General Division 1 April 1933, but in February 1933 he commanded Corpului de Grăniceri, it is quite possible that he could wear the old the uniform of Grăniceri the first time after the transition to the new post of commander of Corpului 2 Armată. Especially because the other possible answers to the question who he is not.

• 5 years later...

Dear Colleague

Thank You for the valuable information. Maybe it's all the same it was General Nicolae Uică? They are very similar in appearance. In addition, if Uică was promoted to General Division 1 April 1933, but in February 1933 he commanded Corpului de Grăniceri, it is quite possible that he could wear the old the uniform of Grăniceri the first time after the transition to the new post of commander of Corpului 2 Armată. Especially because the other possible answers to the question who he is not.

Я предполагаю что генерал на фото вашем - не имеет отношения к Cranicieri , он определенно штабист, как отметил Мирча, а вот по поводу цвета воротника, думаю , он ошибается - у пограничников был не зеленый , а светло-зеленый цвет воротника, и на черно-белыx фото этот цвет должен быть определенно светлее фона мундира....мы же видим обратную картину. Кстати данный факт легко увидеть в сравнении на фото газетном генерала Николае Уике - обратите внимание на цвет поля его эполет - вот он как раз светло-зеленый, граничярский.