Нагрудный знак победителя стрелковых состязаний (1935) / Schützenfest breast badge 1935

Hi all,

A friend has asked me to identify a Nazi-era award in his collection. On the reverse, it is hallmarked '835', named to a couple, and dated '1935-1936'. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

post-555-0-46176000-1497826246_thumb.jpg

I must admit, when first seeing the item, I did not recognise it as conforming to any type of design I'd seen before, although my knowledge of nazi civil awards is limited. However, I found the reverse of the item very intriguing (see below)! My friend was already resigned to it being fake when he showed it to me, but it is always good to get a broad opinion, so thanks for the input, Andrew and Nikolay! :smile:

post-555-0-06026100-1497899016_thumb.jpg

Edited by cmf

:scratch_one-s_head: Could it be strictly unofficial local badge issued to winning participants of a certain shooting competition? Myriads of such badges had been manufactured all across the Weimar Republic, as nearly every town had shooting/patriotic club or society and competitions were held all the year round. Maybe that practice wasn't eliminated even in 1936 somewhere deep in Bavarian or Harz mountains? :smile:

Design of the circular medallion suggests the badge should have been issued to winners of a certain shooting competition or festival, at least crossed rifles accompanied with oak leaves and achorns against green background send such a message. Moreover, base cross is decorated with hunting- or shooting-related elements, i.e. oak leaves and achorns.

Thanks Andrew!! Maybe there is hope that, although not an official issue, the badge is not 'fake' . . . just unofficial!! I'll keep on searching! :JC_doubleup:

• 2 weeks later...

Positive result! Your suggestion was correct, Andrew! :ok:

‘Schützenfest’ target shooting award, as presented by an unidentified German ‘Schützenverein’, 1935

Unlike in Austria, which had very specific designs for particular areas, German ‘Schützenvereine’, i.e. civilian marksmen’s/shooting clubs or associations, tended to use generic designs for competition awards. Manufacturers produced catalogues with dozens of designs, and a shooting club would simply choose the design they preferred. This particular design is also found finished in gilt.

The two names inscribed on the reverse are the ‘Königspaar’, i.e. ‘Royal Couple’, indicating that this award was presented at a ‘Schützenfest’, a traditional marksmen’s or shooting festival, featuring a target shooting competition. The winner of the competition was traditionally designated the ‘Schützenkönig’, i.e. ‘King of Marksmen’, and his wife as the ‘Schützenkönigen’. Together, the couple would ‘reign’ until the following year’s competition: in this case, Lukas Hegger and Anna Flint held the title as ‘Königspaar’ for 1935-36.