Братание латышских стрелков с немцами

Hello!

Here I´ve got a photo from men of the Russian Expeditionary Corps. The reverse is unwritten. What does the shoulder board mean, please?

Thanks a lot!

On the photo with the German soldiers, are represented, judging by an inscription on shoulder straps, soldiers of № 8 Volmar Latvian shooting regiment.

According to the information posted at the “Ethnic Military Units in the First World War and the Civil War” website, 8th Volmar Latvian Battalion raised on September 15, 1915, was transformed into the two-battalion strong (eight companies) Rifle regiment on October 21, 1916. It was made part of the 6th Siberian Rifle Corps in December 1916 in the Riga region. The same month it was attached to the 43rd Army Corps. In May 1917 the regiment was returned to the 6th Siberian Rifle Corps.

On December 23-29, 1916 8th Volmar Latvian Rifle Regiment saw action at the Pulemetnaya Gorka, to the north-west of the Mangaly settlement that Russian managed to recapture from the Germans. After that the regiment was drawn off for rest to the town of Sloka (Schlock).

Because of the German offensive, the regiment was called back to the front on January 10, 1917 and took up defensive positions in the Tirel swamp area.

8th Volmar Latvian Rifle Regiment was withdrawn to reserve on January 22, 1917; disbanded on August 01, 1918.

Hello Andrew!

Thanks a lot for those informations!

But the helmet is an french Adrian that was worn by the Russ. Exp. Korps, wasn´t it???

Unfortunately I can´t read the wine bottle...

How would you explain the blank shoulder straps and the 8? Prisoners???

With the russian eagle too? I thought only the REC had These helmet...

Osprey gives us a picture of the 5th Latvian regiment. He wears a blank helmet and on the shoulder straps a 5L, not a number whith LR. Are there differences within the regiments???

post-5-0-65556300-1500912521_thumb.png

О применении шифровки Латышскими стрелками: скан прилагаю.

Я уж совсем запутался - на фотографии Андреаса чин 8-го Вольмарского латышского стрелкового полка. Шифровка на погонах - 8 / Л П.

А при чем тогда этот фрагмент?

Oh yes. Wonderful photos! Thanks for showing!

So I can assume, the photo was taken in the East, probably along the Duna. The russian army is still much complicated for me, because there ain´t no books enough in a language that I can read...

Я уж совсем запутался - на фотографии Андреаса чин 8-го Вольмарского латышского стрелкового полка. Шифровка на погонах - 8 / Л П.

А при чем тогда этот фрагмент?

При том, что шифровки менялись.

Видна двухстрочная шифровка на погоне, но верхняя цифра и первая буква второго ряда шифровки плохо видны, зато хорошо просматриваются остальные две буквы "ЛС" (латышские стрелки).

post-575-0-18678300-1501004558_thumb.jpg

post-575-0-30369100-1501004582_thumb.jpg