Andrew, thank you! :good:

Infantry sapper (left) and infantry bugler (right), M1873 dress uniform. Photo by Franz Duschek, probably 1878-79.

The infantry bugler (right) wears an M1847 (1831) infantry short sword and a Romanian M1868 Peabody rifle and bayonet.

Black&white photo source: http://6dorobanti.ro...?num=1243417168

post-15-0-35057600-1348846518_thumb.jpg

Chasseur Battalion captain, M1860 full dress uniform. Probably photographed sometime around 1864-65.

He wears an M1845 French officer sword, an irregular pattern for Romanian officers from the Alexandru Ioan Cuza era (1859-1866).

Black&white photo source: http://6dorobanti.ro...?num=1233904926

post-15-0-93399900-1349017655_thumb.jpg

:JC_ThankYou:

The result is linked to the quality/clarity of the black&white photo, I know they are not perfect but I try to improve every time. The more important part is to use the right colors for the uniforms, thus I study a lot before starting colouring. :d_book: :phil_04:

• 3 weeks later...

Mircea, BRAVO! I can help you with info about 1877 - 1878 uniforms and maybe some photos from "Armata romana in razboiul de independenta 1877-1878" book. It would be nice if you could make colorized photos for the main types of 1877-1878 uniforms (infantry, cavalry, artilery, navy, administration and intendence,firemen, medical service), but it's very hard and a lot of work, I know...

Until then, I can help you (for Artillery uniforms) with a colored photo taken from here:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/43144-the-military-ghosts-of-bellu-cemetery-bucharest/

post-45-0-51722400-1351090034.jpg

Until then, I can help you (for Artillery uniforms) with a colored photo taken from here:

Thanks! Although in this case the colours seem to be right, the old hand coloured photos are not a good source because the colors used are not always accurate.

Mircea, hopefully we could cooperate to make an article on some elements on Romanian uniforms - you could provide colourized photos from black-and-whaite scans to make articles look more attractive! :wink:

Andrew, of course, no problem! For a good job it takes me some 8 hours, thus I will color the photos when I have free time. Send me some scans and I will do my best. :Laie_99:

Почему у Пибоди штык ятаганного типа?

Если я правильно понимаю, вы спросите, почему штык не ятаган типа, ответ таков: Румынская M1868 Peabody винтовки использовались различные штыком, как и тот, который вы можете видеть на фото выше. :smile:

• 3 weeks later...
На фото(нижний снимок)-линейная пехота,или егерь?

It is a "dorobantz" ( дopoбaнц ). "In 1877, the Romanian army included beside the regiments of standing infantry and the chasseurs battalions, 16 regiments of territorial infantry called "doronantzi" ("dorobantz" singular; "dorobantzi" plural). They were numbered from 1 to 16. Half of them had been set up in 1872, from frontier guard battalions, the other half in January 1877.

As a general rule, the regiments were made up of two battalions each, and each battalion had been recruited on the territory of a county. The only exception was the 11th Dorobantzi regiment, made up of three battalions, recruited from the territory of four counties. A regiment was usually composed of eight, sometimes seven companies.

However, upon mobilization not all regiments had planned war-time effectives. This was true as regards the 11th and 15th Dorobantzi regiments. The cadres of dorobantzi regiments made up of two distinct categories: permanent cadres (officers, NCOs, part of the rank and file) and the members of the military by turns (the rest of the effectives, rank and file who took up active duty by turns, on a weekly or monthly basis)."

info from "Armata Romana in Razboiul de Independenta, 1877-1878)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've played in Photoshop last night with a photo colored a few years ago. :smile:

General Ion Dumitrache

2nd Mountain Division commander (1941 - 1944) and Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes recipient.

17 October 1941: Mihai Viteazul Order 3rd class

2 November 1942: Knight’s Cross

15 February 1943: Mihai Viteazul Order 2nd class

15 November 1944: Mihai Viteazul Order with swords 3rd class

15764649085_8b749f6923_n.jpg

General Ion Dumitrache by honoretpatria.wordpress, on Flickr

Edited by ionionescu