Подборка фотографий из лагеря Штральзунд-Денхольм

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Оборот с текстом домой на румынском языке.

Автор - сублокотенент Ефтимеску (Eftimescu). С датой непонятно: то ли 29 ноября 1916 (?), то ли январь 1917 ...

post-1-0-49566300-1551899945_thumb.jpg

Фрагмент с русскими офицерами.

Андрей , на мой взгляд один офицер ,у которого знак, имеет или имел отношение к Лейб Гвардии Московскому полку. Знак очень похож на знак полка. Второй офицер , скорее всего артиллерист. Прибор золотой ,петлицы черного бархата с красной выпушкой. Также есть выпушка вокруг воротника.Вот знак, о котором я написал выше.

post-31-0-50511100-1552238144.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Фото 16. Два французских офицера.

Без головного убора - летчик-наблюдатель в звании лейтенанта (две нашивки в нижней части рукава). Над правым нагрудным карманом приколот Знак наблюдателя аэроплана образца 1916 года (изображение знака из Сети).

В пилотке - младший лейтенант (одна нашивка на рукаве). Судя по петличным эмблемам, служил он или в авиации (звезда и крыло) или в воздухоплавательных частях (колесо и крыло).

В нижнем правом углу фотографии - карандашная надпись: "Нашему герою капитану /фамилия/. М. и М.".

post-1-0-90031000-1553379615_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-01913400-1553379622_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-22881400-1553380749.jpg

Реверс фотографии.

"Штральзунд, 3 февраля 1918 года. На память о пребывании в плену". Далее указаны фамилии этих двух офицеров и их адреса.

post-1-0-54429600-1553380910_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Unknown officer from the 8th Battalion of the 1st Canadian Division, Canadian Expeditionary Force.

He is Lt Henry Ernest Lloyd Owen of the 8th Battalion , an architect from Winnipeg who served with my great uncle.

I have photos of him with my great uncle in Valcartier Canada in 1914 and a 1915 group photo in the POW camp at Mainz citadel with Mainz cathedral in the background.

He was gassed severely at 2nd Ypres, captured on 25/4/15, was in Mainz on 17/5/15, and then Stralsund from 14/6/16 to 26/1/18.

He was interned in Holland on 21/3/18.

Unknown officer from the 8th Battalion of the 1st Canadian Division, Canadian Expeditionary Force.

He is Lt Henry Ernest Lloyd Owen of the 8th Battalion , an architect from Winnipeg who served with my great uncle.

I have photos of him with my great uncle in Valcartier Canada in 1914 and a 1915 group photo in the POW camp at Mainz citadel with Mainz cathedral in the background.

He was gassed severely at 2nd Ypres, captured on 25/4/15, was in Mainz on 17/5/15, and then Stralsund from 14/6/16 to 26/1/18.

He was interned in Holland on 21/3/18.

Many thanks! :Laie_99:

Here's the link to the group photo showing Mr.Owen previuosly in this thread: http://www.forum.ant...dpost__p__64228

Could you please share with us these photos?

Благодаря помощи нашего британского коллеги установлена личность неизвестного канадского офицера: это лейтенант 8-го батальона 1-й Канадской дивизии Канадского экспедиционного корпуса Генри Эрнст Ллойд Оуэн (Henry Ernest Lloyd Owen), работавший до призыва в армию архитектором в г.Виннипег. Во время Второй битвы при Ипре (22 апреля-25 мая 1915 г.) Оуэнс был серьезно отравлен хлором и попал в плен 25.04.1915 г. 17 мая того же года он был доставлен в лагерь в Майнце, а оттуда переведен в Штральзунд. Там он содержался с 14 июня 1916 г. по 26 января 1918 г., а затем был интернирован в Нидерландах.

post-1-0-93517700-1557001768_thumb.jpg

Apologies but every time I try to upload a photo onto my profile, the upload fails. I am not sure why or what is blocking it. However my 1914 group photo of the officers of the 8th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force comes from a 1933 publication called "The Winnipeg Rifles Fiftieth Anniversary 1883 - 1933"; and this is available on the University Of Calgary website: http://contentdm.ucalgary.ca/digital/collection/cmh/id/15353

Page 28 gives the history of the battle from the prospective of the 8th Battalion. Owen is specifically mentioned in the report of Major Munro as being captured.

Page 33 has the photograph with the relevant officers in No 4 company on the left. Back row, Owen is 2nd, Andrews 4th, Bell 5th and their Captain (Northwood) is Front Row 3rd. All four officers went through Mainz and Stralsund.

Grady (back row 1st) was in hospital (Bruderhaus, Paderborn, Westphalia) and did not join them at Stralsund until March 1916.

On page 28 of the publication, there is a useful summary of the 8th Battalion involvement in the Second Battle Of Ypres. Owen along with Northwood, Bell and Andrews are all mentioned as being captured in the report of a Major Munro.

If you turn to pages 32 and 33, you will see a copy of the 1914 picture that I have.

The officers who ended up at Stralsund are all on the far left.

Left to right on back row, first is Lt.Grady who did not arrive in Stralsund until

Apologies again

I am doubtless illiterate in term of my computer but I appear unable either to post a photo or a link on your website.

During the engagement around Boetleers Farm on 25th April 1915, the 8th Durham Light Infantry attempted to relieve the 8th Battalion (Winnipeg Rifles) of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. The German forces effectively cut them off, exposed them to fire on three sides and deprived them of any resupply of ammunition. such that they were obliged to surrender and officers from both the 8th Battalion (Winnipeg Rifles) and 8th Battalion Durham Light Infantry ended up at Stralsund in 1915.

The Durhams were newly arrived in France (landed 20th April 1915 with no battle experience) , had neither machine guns nor indeed even helmets and as they came up, three companies of the Durhams relieved three companies of the Winnipeg Rifles but the fourth company of the Durhams was wiped out. The fourth company of the Winnipeg Rifles was not relieved and with the machine gun section of the Winnipeg Rifles remained in place to support the Durhams.

Lt Henry Ernest Lloyd Owen. was left in place to support and remained in charge of a machine gun until it broke down.

This is recorded (page 26 of publication, p10 of PDF) in a history of the Durhams available in a poorly copied format for

Doubt that the link will work but it is: http://www.newmp.org.uk/sitedocs/BOOTLACE%20FRM%20.pdf

Thanks for the ensuring that the link works.

The link to the University of Calgary website gives you the early photo of Owen.

The link to the history of the 8th Battalion the Durhams is probably from a 1927 book - 8th Battalion. Durham Light Infantry 793-1926 by EH Veitch.

Freiwillinge and I both have copies of the Stralsund group photo and re-reading the scanned pages of the Durham history , we can see:-

p22- Reference to the capture of Lieutenant J.O. Wilson .who is probably the middle row, first on the photo.

p26 - Reference is made to the capture of Lieutenant G.E. Blackett who is probably back row first on the photo.

He may or may not be related to his commanding officer who was a Colonel W.C. Blackett.

Many thanks for the valuable data you've provided, Andrew!

So let's try to sum up the info we have for a moment.

1 - ?

2 - ?

3 - Captain Charles Venalee Beresford, 3rd Batallion, Worcestershire Regiment.

4 - ?

5 - Lieutenant Henry Ernest Lloyd Owen, 8th Battalion of the 1st Canadian Division, Canadian Expeditionary Force.

6 - ?

7 - ?

8 - ?

9 - Captain Dudley Stuart Kays Crosbie, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Princess Louise's).

10 - ?

Any chances to ID the rest of the British POWs?

post-1-0-95086700-1557168176_thumb.jpg

• Hi Chris,
  • If you are ever visiting National Archives at Kew and have the time to queue for records, they should have reports on prisoners which may give clues to some names of other officers.
  • Kew has listed in its archives.
  • Treatment of British prisoners at Dänholm camp, Straslund:
  • enquiry from Commander G H Miller-Sirling, Royal Navy (retired) regarding his son, Lieut A E S Miller-Stirling, 1st Battalion Gordon Highlanders, held prisoner in officers' camp there.

• 2 weeks later...

Canadian press clippings from the Fort William Daily Times Journal and the Port Arthur News Chronicle relating to Lt Henry Ernest Lloyd-Owen. Dates are in the file names. I have to give credit here to the Brodie Resource Library, of the Thuder Bay Piublic Library for providing these images from their microfilm archives.

post-2793-0-34840800-1558157952_thumb.jpg

post-2793-0-63325000-1558157965_thumb.jpg

post-2793-0-33160200-1558157981_thumb.jpg

post-2793-0-69906300-1558158119.jpg

Hi Jim,

Thanks for that. OK. The Canadian Officers Prisoners in Germany photograph is taken at Mainz Citadel. You can see Mainz Cathedral in the background.

There were four Canadian officers from the 8th Battalion and one Canadian Medical Officer (Captain Hart) from a different battalion .

George Northwood is definitely seated first on left. Next to him to your relative. Lt Lloyd Owen.

My great uncle John Kidd Bell is standing first on left. I am pretty sure that the fourth officer captured from the 8th Battalion (Winnipeg Rifles) Lt Andrews is fourth standing from left.

You can compare all images with the 1914 Valcartier photo.

Hart is probably last on right (seated). He was soon to be released as a 'non-combatant' under the then convention.

• 1 month later...