Mircea, please have a look at this draft that I prepared for the Romanian awards database.

Semnul distinctiv pentru invalizi

Disabled war veteran’s badge

Disabled war veteran’s badge was instituted on April 9, 1918 (???) by the Royal decree (Înaltul Decret) No.850 and was issued to former Romanian officers, NCOs and other ranks who sustained serious injuries on battlefields of the Great War and during the Hungarian-Romanian war that was fought from November 1918 until March 1920.

Disabled war veteran’s badge had a shape of a horizontal oval with slightly pebbled surface bearing two crucial dates – “1916/19” separated by a slash sign. Those years corresponded to the beginning of the World War I for Romania (August 1916) and the end of military operations in Hungary (August 1919). The badge is bordered by a wreath made of laurel leaves on its left and oak leaves on its right, a ribbon is tied at its bottom.

The badge was made of gilt bronze and was worn on a single bar with a ribbon of a Military Virtue Order (Ordinul Virtutea Militară), i.e. red with thin vertical white stripes at its edges.

It was supposed to be worn on the upper right part of a tunic though photographic evidence shows this regulation was violated and the badge was sometimes pinned to the left breast.

Several questions:

1. When exactly was it instituted? You mentioned 1918 but 1919 seems to be more logic as the King couldn't have known the date of the end of the war against Hungary.

2. Regulations for wear - what place exactly on the upper right part of a tunic was reserved for that badge?

3. Any information on dimensions of a badge?

4. How many pieces wree issued?

Any additional information is highly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Info is OK, just one thing: ribbon of a Military Virtue Order is red with blue stripes, not white.

1. It was instituted in 1918 and originally it should have had 1916/18 engraved (I don't know if such examples were ever made), but after the war with Hungary in 1919 the badges were just engraved 1916/19 and issued this way.

2. On the right side, in line with the 4th button, I assume 4th button from bottom (the tunic had 6 buttons).

3. I'll ask.

4. I'll ask.

Thanks, Mircea!

Here's the final draft, please check if everything is Ok.

Semnul distinctiv pentru invalizi / Disabled war veteran’s badge

Disabled war veteran’s badge was instituted on April 9, 1918 by the Royal decree (Înaltul Decret) No.850 and was intended to be issued to former Romanian officers, NCOs and other ranks who sustained serious injuries on battlefields of the Great War. Original concept was changed after the Hungarian-Romanian war broke out. Thereby the award criteria of the badge was extended to military personnel who participated in that war that was fought from November 1918 until March 1920.

Disabled war veteran’s badge had a shape of a horizontal oval with slightly pebbled surface bearing two crucial dates – “1916/19” separated by a slash sign. Those years corresponded to the beginning of the World War I for Romania (August 1916) and the end of military operations in Hungary (August 1919). It’s worth mentioning here that initial dates should have been “1916/18”.

The badge is bordered by a wreath made of laurel leaves on its left and oak leaves on its right, a ribbon is tied at its bottom.

The badge was made of gilt bronze and was worn on a single bar with a ribbon of a Military Virtue Order (Ordinul Virtutea Militară), i.e. red with thin vertical light blue stripes at its edges.

It was worn on the upper right part of a tunic at level of its fourth button from the bottom. Nevertheless photographic evidence shows this regulation was violated and the badge was sometimes pinned to the left breast.