Румыны в армии Австро-Венгрии / Romanians in the Austro-Hungarian Army

Searching for some more information, I found some interesting data about the Romanians living in Austro-Hungarian Empire drafted in the K.u.K. Army, unfortunately this data is incomplete, the Romanians from Bukovina (Буковина) are not counted.

The data is gathered between 1920-1922 by the Romanian historian Teodor V. Păcățian for the book ”Jertfele Românilor din Ardeal, Banat, Crişana, Sătmar şi Maramurăş în războiul mondial din anii 1914-1918” published in 1923/ Sibiu.

I have the data from the periodical ”Transilvania”/January 1923, from the University of Cluj collection. http://documente.bcu...054_001_002.pdf

-----------------------------------

Total population (without Bukovina): 2.979,614

Solders mobilized and sent to the front: 449,796

Solders mobilized in the auxiliary services: 34,578

Jailed for political reasons: 1,734

Refugees for political reasons: 3,436

Total: 489,544

From the total solders above:

Killed in action: 41,739

Dead because of wounds: 11,275

Returned home disabled: 25,406

Wounded but today healed: 37,898

Returned home healthy: 343,387

Missing until today: 29,839

Total: 489,544

From the killed and missing:

War widows: 38,630

War orphans: 79,226

Decorated solders from the total: 44,191

• 11 months later...

Not about FJB nr. 28 but about Romanians in K.u.K. Armee, here are two photos of Ioan Hațegan in K.u.K. uniform posted by someone on Facebook (fb page Valea Frumoasei), judging by the area he was from, I believe he served with Infanterieregiment Friedrich Großherzog von Baden Nr.50 from Alba Iulia, it appears he survived WW1.

I think he wears the ”M.1916 Feldgraue Bluse für Mannschaften mit Umlegekragen” and ”M.1915 Feldraue Kappe für Mannschaften”, his collar insignia suggests he served with the pioneer troops. Photo quality is not great but judging by shape and form the medals should be, from left to right: Silberne Tapferkeitsmedaille 1.Klasse; Bronzene Tapferkeitsmedaille; Goldenes Verdienstkreuz; Karl Truppen-Kreuz;

post-15-0-39541300-1357755260_thumb.jpg post-15-0-14302000-1357755274_thumb.jpg

@Дмитрий: thanks!

Here is another photo with two Romanians in K.u.K. Armee from the collection of Mr. Dan Bera (posted on his personal Facebook page), the one from the right is Aron Poanta from Cerişor, Hunedoara, Romania (then Austria-Hungary).

The Zugführer from left wears a M.1908 Hechtgraue Sommerbluse mit Umlegekragen and the Infanterist Aron Poanta from the right wears a M.1915 Feldgraue Bluse für Mannschaften mit Stehkragen, both wear the Ersatzbajonett für das Repetiergewehr M.1895, I have such a bayonet in my collection! :smile:

post-15-0-82915500-1357845280_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-07500000-1357845323_thumb.jpg

Very interesting ersatz-belt.

:victory:

Here is another photo of a Romanian in K.u.K. Armee, the name of the man is Stancu Filip, he wears a Sanitätsarmbinde and the M1906 Krankenpflegerauszeichnung, the photo is posted on the Facebook page Valea Frumoasei.

post-15-0-64004400-1357917760_thumb.jpg

A nice photo of Ioan Mihăescu (b. 8 August 1897 - d. 29 November 1987), from Lăpuşnic, com. Bara, jud. Timiş, Romania (then Austria-Hungary). The photo comes from the family archive of Mr. Marius Haţegan from Lugoj, Romania. Photo source: http://cristianghinea.wordpress.com/

In this photo we can see the: M.1908 Hechtgraue Bluse für Mannschaften; M.1915 Feldgraue Kappe für Mannschaften; the Mannlicher model 1895 rifle and bayonet; the M1895 Mannlicher pouches: Patronentasche zum Gewehr Muster 1895; and the: the M1916 canvas rucksack: Rucksack Muster 1916; :smile:

post-15-0-55174700-1358001535_thumb.jpg post-15-0-51834200-1358001546_thumb.jpg

Why "M.1915 Feldgraue Kappe"? May be "M.1908 Hechtgraue Kappe

Yes, it could be M.1908, but the cap visor is too big for an M.1908, also, the photo is taken in 1917 or 1918 (he was born in 8 August 1897 and he wears the M1916 Rucksack), thus I believe its M.1915. :smile:

post-15-0-79529500-1358082161_thumb.jpg

Unusually cross-belts of "Rucksack".

Yes, I like it too! :smile:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Вообще-то, это должен быть рядовой гусарского полка т.н. "светло-синей серии". Смущают шнур по верху воротника (по-моему он должен быть как и все остальные — черно-желтым), розетки на "венгерских уздах" (они должны быть как минимум в два раза больше) и два знака "отличника" (скорее всего это "Отличный стрелок-кавалерист" (значит и фото не ранее 1871 г.) и "Отличный кавалерист") — их носли на правой стороне груди. (фотография не перевернута — это видно по застежке борта аттилы "на женскую" сторону).

Дмитрий, Благодарю вас за ваш комментарий, but I must ask Andrew for an translation because my automatic translator doesn't make a very good translation. Thanks!

Дмитрий, Благодарю вас за ваш комментарий, but I must ask Andrew for an translation because my automatic translator doesn't make a very good translation. Thanks!

Here you go, Mircea!

I assume it might be a private from a Hussars regiment that wore light blue attire. I’m a bit confused with the following elements:

1. The cord bordering upper portion of a collar should be black and yellow as others;

2. Rosettes on Hungarian cords should be at least twice bigger;

3. Two qualification badges (Schützenauszeichnung für die Kavallerie and Reiterauszeichnung) should be worn on the right side of the tunic though a portrait isn’t a mirrored one (Attila is fastened correctly).

By the way, presence of Schützenauszeichnung für die Kavallerie makes me thinks that portrait was made after 1871.

Дмитрий and Andrew, thank you for your comments and help. Yes, they seem to be Hussars wearing the blue Attila and red caps and pants. I agree with what Дмитрий said about the uniform details. Strange! :scratch_one-s_head: :smile:

Here is the full photo, I believe the photo is from around 1914, or just before that, I can't tell for sure. In the photo we have two possible Romanian brothers: on the front side we can see the signature Bucur Gheorg (romanian: Bucur Gheorghe) and on the back the signature: Bucur Vasilie (romanian: Bucur Vasile). ”Gheorg” and ”Vasilie” are typical for the period austro-hungarian-ised romanian names and „Bucur” is 100% Romanian. On the back is also written in lead pencil ”B14827”, maybe ”Bestellung 1914.08.27”?!

post-15-0-22475900-1364056372_thumb.jpg

Colour version! I tried to give it an as authentic old look as possible, I hope I succeeded, in part as least.

Andrew, if this coloured photo is posted in the wrong thread, please move this photo were you find fit! Thanks! :smile:

post-15-0-69370600-1364215080_thumb.jpg

Great job, Mircea! Let's wait Dmitriy's opinion in terms of historical compliance)

Мирча, отличная работа! Давай подождем, что скажет Дмитрий с точки зрения соответствия деталей.