Фотографии с Восточного фронта / Eastern Front photos / Fotografii de pe frontul de Est

Самое начало войны против СССР - 12 июля 1941 года. The very beginning of a military campaign against the Soviet Union, July 12, 1941.

He seems to be an cavalry captain (cavalry pants and boots), wearing an M1934 tunic. Can you post an better scan of the insignia and the bayonet?! Thanks!

On the back: După lupta de la „Cania” (3 zile), 4 km Est Fălciu - Trecerea Prutului (2 atacuri la baionetă). Trag.(erea) de Art(ilerie) oprea chiar pe locul unde am stat. 12 Iulie 941; translation: After the battle of „Cania” (3 days), 4 km East of Fălciu - The crossing of the Prut river (2 bayonet attacks). The artillery barrage stopped exactly on the spot I sit now. 12 Julie 941;

Here something about Cania battle: http://www.worldwar2.ro/arr/?language=en&article=5

”The Guard Division attacked with the 6th Guard Infantry Regiment and managed to defeat the Soviet resistance in front of it and by evening it had occupied the Cania Hill, establishing a solid bridgehead. The regiment's losses were, however, heavy: 32 killed, 158 wounded and 7 missing.” (...)

”The battle reached its climax on 12 July. The Red Army attacked with the 14th Rifle Corps (25th and 51st Rifle Divisions) and an extra infantry division, supported by tanks and aircraft, which bombed the Romanian troops at Tigheci, Larguta, Razesti and Cociulia. The Guard Division was strongly pressed in the sector of the 1/2nd and 2/9th Guard Vanatori Regiments. The assault lasted 16 hours. The two regiments kept their positions with great difficulty. Practically all the reserves were thrown into battle, the pioneers and even the command companies. The violence was extreme, hand-to-hand combat being frequent. The example of the 3rd Battalion/1/2nd Guard Vanatori Regiment is eloquent. It was almost completely encircled on the Cania Hill, but it continued to resist on its position. On the right flank, the 21st Infantry Division, although it had been reduced to practically 4 battalions, repulsed the attack of two Soviet divisions.

Translation post #10: 10 Septembrie 1942. Ofițeri și Subof.(ițeri) (ai) Batalionului la Cimitirul Eroilor Batalionului 7 V.(ânători) de M.(unte). din Kur Kusin. Lt. ?Crif...? translation: 10 September 1942. Officers and NCO's of the 7th Mountain troops battalion Heroes Cemetery in Kur Kusin. Lt. ?Crif...? I guess the photo is taken in the Caucasus.

• 3 weeks later...

Еще одна фотография из этой серии. Похоже, запечатлен момент первой медицинской помощи раненому солдату.

Another photo from the same photo lot - it seems treating of a wounded soldier is depicted here.

post-1-0-43181700-1364030510_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Back side foto from post #22: Oct. 1941. Transnistria. În drum spre Odessa - popas la Ianovka. Tancuri și muniții părăsite de bolșevici. Ostașii așezați Într-o groapă de obuz german. Translation: October 1941. Transnistria. On the way to Odessa - halt at Ianovka. Tanks and ammunition abandoned by the Bolsheviks. Solders sit in a pit made by a german shell.

Post #24: I guess the soldiers were from an anti-aircraft unit (Adrian helmets) and he waves at a romanian ”Bristol Blenheim Mk. I” reconnaissance plane. Photo is taken most probably in 1941.

Post #25: I have the feeling this is a German piece, I don't think romanians uses this type of equipment by 1941.